Monday, July 20, 2009

K joins our family

But it was really bumpy at first. When all of us 7 families reached the Civil Affairs office we could see through a door all the nannies with the babies. One nanny holding the hands of K and walking her around. I knew her right away, those cheeks and hair. She wasn't afraid of us as we knelt down to say hello. We offered her a toy, she checked it out and threw it down. She was staring at us but we were staring right back. Suddenly they start saying in Chinese and our guide says in English, "we're starting". This is when the chaos begins. One by one a family is called up and baby is handed off. It is fast and hard to get pictures. Everyone seems to be doing fine and then we are called. K is okay until she is handed to me and then the crying starts. Not soft whimpers, this little one can really throw a temper tantrum. She was constantly looking around for her nanny, broke my heart. Our guide suggested we walk outside. For about a half hour she didn't let up until we were on the bus and started singing to her. She hasn't fussed since but scans the Asian woman of the hotel and I know she is looking for someone familiar. Otherwise she is a happy baby, loves to play with stacking cups and peek-a-boo. She has slept through the night and is still sleeping.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I am proud of first her ability to bond strongly with her nanny. And second, to let you in no uncertain terms that she understands stranger danger. Third, that she already understands it is very politic to laugh at silly Auntie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kricket Hey! So happy you have K with you now! I can't believe it! I know you must be so relieved to have her in your arms. I hope you will be able to post pics soon. I would love to see her. I'm glad to hear you got past any quarantine issues too. Sounds like she is already adjusting well, I hope the road is smooth ahead.
    Guess what-referrals are arriving tomorrow!! Our new agency doesn't call until everything is verified and translated so we may not get the call until Wed. I will post on my blog if you have a nano-second to check. I know ya'll are happily busy with your little one.
    -Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW
    I am so happy for you all!!!!!! Just so very happy!!!!!!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete