Thursday, July 9, 2009

Gotcha, not! FIMA, yes.

Within the adoption community the term "Gotcha" refers to the day when you finally get your child. Our Gotcha day is scheduled for 7/20.

I really don't like the term "Gotcha". It is what I usually say when I swat a mosquito. This makes it hard to translate the feeling into something joyous and beautiful.

I've imagined that "Gotcha" day often over the past 3+ years. Imagined the weight of her settling in my arms, the smell of her. Will she be crying or smiling? Will she be confused about the chaos that will be surrounding her and us.

In the end, she will be Finally In My Arms - FIMA day. It's not catchy, no one in the adoption community is familiar with it, but Gotcha it isn't.

Its FIMA for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Krickett!! I was so excited to see your comment that you're the mother of Chen Qi Sheng, soon to be Kelly! It's amazing to see all of this happening. And to see so may of Emma's friends being adopted and seeing where their new homes will be. Just so exciting! I too don't really like the term "Gotcha." I don't know what to call it though. But I love the FIMA Finally in my Arms. I think I'll use that too if you don't mind. That just sounds so much better.

    ReplyDelete