Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Last Weekend, part 1 - Glen Helen

Last weekend we were able to get away to one of my favorite places, Glen Helen Nature Preserve. The nature preserve is the legacy of Hugh Taylor Birch, who, in 1929, donated the wooded glen to the local college in memory of his daughter, Helen. Glen Helen has a raptor rehabilitation center we like to visit before setting off on our hike. We were so pleased that on this day the birds were out of their cages for an open house event.


What a beauty! So elegant!


Such a sweetheart face! Can you see the reflection of it's handler in it's eye?


Yikes! So glad I'm not a mouse! Giving me it's Halloween look!


On the trail to my favorite two places. K actually stayed awake this whole hike!


First favorite spot - this tree. I've been visiting this tree for over 10 years. Yes, I think I have a bit of the druid in me. This ole guy (yes, its a HE don't ask me how I know) has been in a whole host of photos marking events in my life. When I was carrying M we shot me and my nine month pregnant belly portrait here. Okay, maybe too much info.....


My second favorite spot is simply called "The Pines" named that even by the locals that hike the area. The path opens up into an area of only very tall pine trees. The forest floor is soft and deep with fallen pine needles. You bring a blanket because you must lay on the ground and gaze up at the pine tops that dance in the breeze. Also this is a good spot to unload the little one (K) from your back and allow her to stretch her legs.


I'm free!


I love this place!


It's magical......

Last Weekend, to be con't.......

1 comment:

  1. It all looks like such a great time! Your photos of the raptors are some of the best yet. D

    ReplyDelete